Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 22 December 2022

Grey.

Mainly overcast today with low cloud sitting on the hills sometimes dropping down enough to fill the air with a fine drizzle.
I tried just using the phone camera but it doesn't cope well in low light levels. I contacted Nikon for an estimate of the cost but although they replied promptly they weren't able to give any estimate. Not even a minimum cost for looking and making a diagnosis, only free postage. Perhaps the camera shop in Shrewsbury will be more helpful.
I went into town today to do a final shop and forgot to get any croissants for Sunday even though I went in Lidl, Morrisons and M&S. Although the shop windows are quite festive all the side streets looked grey and miserable. In the photo above I was standing on the main shopping street, which has a wide pavement and one-way traffic, looking across to a side street.
We finally decided on smoked spare ribs for our Christmas dinner, the sort that come ready prepared with a barbecue sauce as neither of us wants to cook something elaborate as well as all the vegetables. In M&S, buying rollmop herrings for our Christmas Eve meal I happened to glance at the cost of a prepared turkey crown roast with stuffing. It said it would serve 6-8 people so make that 4-6 and the cost was just under £60. Ouch! I know their food is good but I reckon if you bought the whole meal there it would cost £200 for 4 people. I was only buying the herrings there because I couldn't find them anywhere else. To make them less acidic I've put them in the marinade from some Polish sliced gherkins that I got in Lidl.
When I got home Peter went out for a drink with a few of his fellow rowers which gave me the chance to wrap a couple of small presents for him. I reckon I have enough wrapping paper bought in previous January sales to last at least the next five years. A good thing too as the Tesco's here is smaller than in Barnstaple and doesn't seem to have as good reductions. Today they had cards at silly prices in Morrisons so I bought a couple of packs to add to the stash.


 

1 comment:

happyone said...

Love the street scene!