Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 17 December 2022

Wet.

This morning the snow was still visible from the washing up window,
but looking across the sea the rain was rapidly clearing the snow from the mountains. Even before going outside the lack of condensation at the bottom of the windows told me that the outdoor temperature had risen considerably. Rain has fallen steadily for most of the day and I guess that's the end of the cold spell. No white Christmas here. I've loved seeing the snow but didn't enjoy driving on potentially icy roads.
I caught up on sleep this morning with a late start to my day. Or should I say a late start after an early start having got up at 5.00, then gone back to bed and to sleep at 6.30. I'm learning that it's best to accept whatever my body wants to do. 
This afternoon we went carol singing at Aberystwyth Arts Centre. It's been over 45 years since I set foot on this campus having gone there on an ecology field trip when I was at uni in London and what a breath of fresh air it was. No students around as it's the holidays but the arts centre felt like being back in civilisation. I may have spent 25 happy years being a country dweller but I grew up in Central London and the arts and modern architecture are things I have missed. (Not much else though.) We sang our first set in the space above which had great acoustics. Just a shame us tenors were asked to quieten down a bit as we were drowning out the sopranos. For our second set we moved to the mezzanine (to the right and top of the photo below.)
In the space below there is an exhibition space which at the moment has crafts by local artists. Quite a few of whom had been at the craft fair in our community hall. It was all lovely stuff and I bought a mounted print of two oystercatchers. I'll be giving it to Peter for Christmas which is a bit naughty as it's really to put up in the sitting room. 
From the university I drove down into town as my trusty Waterpik has finally stopped recharging. It's excellent for keeping my teeth clean which is especially important while there's no access to NHS dental care here. I was hoping to get one in Boots but they didn't have any in stock. But I was able to order one which should be in store by Monday. While I was chatting to the shop assistant/cashier we got talking to the young chap who was in line before me but was waiting for his wife to bring a couple more items. When we explained how good a Waterpik was he ended up ordering one too. 
I had parked at Lidl which only gives 90 minutes parking so I had to content myself with very quick visits to several of the charity shops but I still got myself a real bargain. A fluorescent pink waterproof cycling jacket for £6. They're still on sale in Mountain Warehouse for around £40 and I had looked at them in the summer wondering if I should get one. And now I have. 
It's the finals of Strictly this evening which we shall watch tonight as they tend to mention who won on the news which would spoil it if we waited until tomorrow to watch. Ths is the one time we eat in front of the tv instead of having supper at the table as Strictly goes on for so long. Especially when we watched the show and the results consecutively.

 

No comments: