Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 17 September 2010

Being Thankful.

I've got into the habit of watching tv late in the evening and generally that means some sort of crime drama set in British cities. This has brought home to me how lucky I am to be living here - simply in visual terms. I lived for many years in the heart of London and the lack of beauty in the environment was one of the things I found so depressing. You could if you narrowed your focus find beautiful things to see but you had to look really hard and develop tunnel vision to filter out all the crap around. There are magnificent buildings but for the most part everything is drab and dirty and the sky is generally only glimpsed above a nondescript sky line. And out in suburbia (which thank goodness I only passed through) there is the added unremitting monotony. Here I am fortunate enough to have beauty at every turn. Tonight the sky was that lovely mix of high cirrus clouds with lower fluffy cumulus clouds.
I wasn't too pleased with the blurry foreground in these shots when I saw them on the pc so I grabbed the camera and took a walk up the hill.

And was rewarded with yet more fascinating skyscapes,


and far reaching views. I love the way the light is constantly changing and only minutes later the sun was dropping and the pink tinge had gone from the clouds.


3 comments:

happyone said...

You are indeed lucky!
I too feel thankful that I have such a fabulous lake and park to walk in.

Catching the Magic said...

Ah, so beautiful. I must get out to the countryside with the girls soon.

Elora said...

Oh, Ruta!
What a delightful tableau of scenic gifts. Yes, indeed, we who have the opportunity to live in pastoral beauty are so fortunate. Your whispy clouds look as if a painter had fallen in love with not just the clouds, but the process of adding them to the painting!

Elora