Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 9 September 2011

Done.

At last! The sitting room carpet is finally done ...... I think. All thanks to my handy Vax. I bought it when we had an old dog that had the occasional accident but since the Dyson motor burnt out I've been using it for general hoovering as well. I bought a reusable cloth dust bag which is almost as convenient as the Dyson was. Previously I had hired carpet washers but I found them quite heavy to use as you are pushing the whole machine with all the water in it while with the Vax you only push the head across the carpet. It is very simple to change from dry to wet mode and with no fancy electronics and a strong motor it does its job well. A worthwhile investment all those years ago. We'll turn the heating on for the weekend to help dry the carpet and then according to the list I have just made there are only 9 more jobs to do in the sitting room until it is done and I can move to the next part of the house. I did find it quite stressful to have several rooms in chaos over the summer when we were having the plastering done and now plan to work my way through one room at a time. It seemed very odd not going in to work today and yesterday. Almost as if I was slacking. Although I have been busy with 'home' jobs my mind isn't constantly juggling 10 things at once. It just feels so relaxed.
The orchids look wonderful at the moment. I bought the white one for my classroom last year and I shall make a real effort to look after it and the other 3 that I have. (Peter bought me a little spotted one for my birthday last month.)

Today's weather was frequent gentle rain but very warm and we had a thunderstorm in the middle of the day. I thought the first rumbles were the postman arriving in his van (yes, like Postman Pat) and kept stopping my carpet washing to collect the letters but he wasn't there. Then I thought it was my neighbour revving up a tractor or the horsebox which he brings up to his outbuildings closest to us to work on or wash but then I realised it was thunder. Quickly into storm alert and unplug the phone, hub and the server to guard against any major surge caused by lightening strike. The storm passed quickly leaving only the rain and all our electrical equipment was safe once more.

No comments: