Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 24 September 2011

Gig Rowing

I had my first try at gig rowing this afternoon. My back is stinging like mad right now but as it was pretty sore this morning after yesterday's mowing I will give it another go before making any decision. Also I will ask to sit on the other side of the boat as I could feel my bad hip twinging. I would like to be more active and as Peter is so involved in the gig club it would be good to do something together (though I don't fancy blisters on the bum which is a hazard).
This is the gig that I went out in. It is plastic and easier to row than the Odessa (top picture) which is built of wood and much heavier. I quite enjoyed the rowing though there was so much to concentrate on. I found keeping in time not too bad and I didn't catch too many crabs. It was when the trainer sitting behind myself and the other person having a taster session started to instruct me to keep my arms straight and then pull my hand right up to my shoulder, that things got a bit unravelled. Too many things to think about at once! It was fun and at times we got into a steady rhythm and flew along.

Myself and the other newbie at the boat shed after we had walked the gig along the road.




Another view of the Phillipa Jay.


This was Peter's second row of the day so he was content. While he was rowing I went to the library and did a little shopping. Afterwards we stopped at the Co-op and got more bargains including some lamb bhuna and onion bhajis which we had for supper.


Didn't do very much earlier in the day as my back was bad and I had a nasty sinus headache. However Peter and I did remodel the cabinet that the tv sits on, or rather we hacked the back off to make it more suitable for the flat screen tv. The hardest part was replacing the wheels at the back as we needed a 12mm drill bit to make the holes to put the fittings in and we had to search high and low for one. (Tidying and sorting all our tools is on my to-do list but not until I've finnishe the current round of decorating.)

No comments: