Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 15 September 2011

Garden Day.

I didn't quite make it out to the garden until the afternoon because I thought I would do one or two quick indoor jobs first. How silly of me. I was so pleased with the way the sitting room window sills looked after a coat of paint that I decided to paint the woodwork on the upstairs landing. Washing, sanding, washing and then painting 2 doors and their frames and a few other bits is not a quick job. I also tidied up around the big fireplace and discovered the reason that we had been getting smoke into the room was that a metal plate had fallen off the flue from the wood burner. Peter says this is not to big a repair to do, thank goodness. After my morning's exertions I had a long lunch break outside with a book before starting on the autumn tidy up. I try to grow plants that are easy to maintain but there a number that need an autumn cut back. Today it was the turn of the giant croscomia. I do like the architectural shapes of the seed heads but once the frosts come the leaves get horrible and slimy and it is a much nastier job to do.
I counted 4 species of butterfly feeding frantically on the sedum flowers. Speedy is fascinated by anything that moves and I saw him eat 2 butterflies which he had pounced on as they flew by.


Jack came by later on his quad bike and I was able to give him a shoe box of lego that was still left over from the boys' childhoods.

No comments: