Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 23 November 2012

Sunny.

Another full day in school. Things are beginning to get less frantic as I become more familiar with the children and the classroom. This morning one little lad came in clutching a heavy backpack. It turned out he had brought in 8 large baking potatoes. At first I wondered if the class teacher had asked for potatoes for an art or science project but no, these were just to 'show'. I don't know if his mother knew about this or if maybe she was wondering where the family supper had disappeared to. So we looked at the potatoes, talked about them and then I made sure he kept them safe until hometime.
The trees behind this classroom are home to a number of squirrels,  very disruptive when they scamper past the window during lessons. As I walked past the children's vegetable plots one squirrel was engrossed in burying nuts under the leaves not even being bothered when children walked along a path 6ft away. I ran and got my camera but not surprisingly the squirrel had gone by the time I got back.
By the time I had cleared up the classroom (no teaching assistant on a Friday afternoon), marked work and left everything in order for the class teacher it was 5.00 and the sun was going down. I dropped into the Co-Op but no spectacular bargains today so I bought a few essentials (and a treat or two for me) and headed off home. It has been dry today but things are due to worsen with more heavy rain due tomorrow and Sunday. There were over 90 flood warnings in force today and the authorities are getting all the heavy pumps ready, sandbags are being issued etc. We have turned our central heating on, LUXURY! to drive out any dampness in the rooms and put some warmth into the walls. It's also good to test that the boiler is working properly rather than when we really need it. So far so good. After the weekend we'll turn the heating off again and see how much difference the new cavity insulation makes.

No comments: