Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 21 November 2012

Wet.

We had  lot of rain in the night and although the dams on the road were still in place some water had come down the drive and made a few ruts in the gravel. For a more permanent solution I set a concrete lintel across one side of the drive to divert water into the central channel which I cleared and widened. 
It was back to school at lunchtime for our weekly lunchtime staff meeting and then an afternoon playing number games with the reception children. After school I stayed on for the 4.00 staff meeting. Usually I only go the the lunchtime meeting (nearly an hour long), where we go through the diary and general school business. The 4.00 staff meeting has been moved to Wednesdays to make it more convenient for people doing job-shares and it is usually on a single topic but that does mean 2 staff meeting in one day. As I am only contracted to work 6 hours a week I only go to those meetings when they are training sessions and will be useful. Tonight we had 2 teachers from another school come and talk about they get the children working in 3's with the associated speaking & listening and learning objectives which sounded very interesting. It looked particularly effective for maths as they have to be able to explain to each other and to the class their problem solving strategies. 
I didn't leave school until 5.30 by which time it was pitch dark. I dropped into the Co-Op to check out any bargains and though there wasn't much left (the best time is around 5.00), I still got baking and new potatoes, honey roast ham, bagels, wraps and a pesto pasta salad for 75% off. I had the pasta salad for my supper finished off with a Danish pastry which was only reduced by 50%.
Coming home I turned on the local news to see that there had been severe flooding all across the region with 2ft of water in some towns, the Great Western Canal had burst its banks and flooding and landslips had shut down the railway. Peter said that our roads were really bad in the morning and even in his 4WD he only got through one flood by driving close behind a big truck. It's a good thing that most of it had gone by the time I went out because my little Micra sits quite low to the ground.

No comments: