Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 29 December 2012

Heavy Rain.

It has been a day of extremes. One minute torrential showers the next relative calm and blue sky showing above the hills. Peter went out rowing at 7.00 when it was dark and raining while I lay in bed listening to the rain lashing against the windows. I had a nasty sinus headache so I didn't enjoy my lie-in as much as usual but it was oh so good not to have to get up.
During a dry spell I did some work in the yard and checked on the stream which was flowing strongly but not too high.
The little pond has filled right up and at least looks tidy now that the path has been refurbished. I preferred the old grey stones but they had mostly sunk into the underlying clay and I had access to a pile of black gravel left behind after some roadworks so that's what I used. (We did check with someone who works in the highways dept. and they can't re-use the gravel on another job.)
During this rather rainy holiday we have enjoyed watching TV, mainly films that we have recorded on the Sky box but sometimes you come across some unexpected gems while randomly checking out the channels. Last night I watched a programme about 2 people driving through rural Georgia, up mountain passes and onto the high plateaus. It was incredibly beautiful, stunning views dotted with medieval fortress villages. (It can be seen for the next 18 days at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01pp7ps  ). And then today I chanced upon Stomp on Sky Arts. Despite my poor knee I love dance and have taught stomp dancing to one of my classes before but this show takes stomp dancing and junk percussion to new heights. Who could have thought that you could have a performance piece accompanied only by the sound of sink plungers or newspapers. Yes - newspapers. That piece was so funny Peter came in to see why I was laughing so much and even he was impressed by the kitchen sinks + cups & saucepans piece. I must see if I can fit in a bit more junk percussion for my Year 2 classes. 

No comments: