Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 19 December 2012

Wild. Wet & Windy.

I had a satisfying morning giving the kitchen a good clean. Although it will only be the 2 of us for Christmas it's nice to have the place fresh and sparkling. That included hoovering the stone wall. I always smile when one of those house buying programmes is on TV and people rave over bare stone walls in country properties. I smile firstly because I hope that when we eventually come to sell the place that will be the reaction of any prospective buyers. It's also a wry smile as I reflect on just how hard it is to keep such a wall clean. I don't mind the summer spiders, they do a good job catching flies, but by winter the cobwebs are all dusty and wouldn't hold anything so down the hoover nozzle they go. People also like the idea of a range in a country kitchen and yes ours keeps the kitchen warm and the damp at bay while providing ample hot water but cooking on it requires much patience and the oil bill ...... is horrendous. I was so inspired by my morning efforts that I carried on after I got home from work and washed all the blue glassware on windowsill. I've also had to move all my orchids into the kitchen as the cold in the other rooms was beginning to make them very sad and leaves were beginning to fall off.
We had our usual Christmas buffet at lunchtime, the food was all from M&S, very tasty indeed and there was so much that the staffroom fridge with is filled with food so none of us need to bring any lunches tomorrow. We also had the fun of opening our Secret Santa presents. I made a good choice for my person and the extra fun item was something she really liked. The Hobbit calendar was exactly the right present for me too. In the afternoon the children had their Christmas parties and I was down with the young ones in reception. I love seeing them in their own clothes rather than the monotony of school uniform and they looked so sweet when they were dancing, every style from holding hands and skipping round to one pair who were attempting a ballroom hold. (Must watch Strictly at home.) The party went well with almost no tears though the surprise fly-by of Santa in the rescue helicopter was cancelled due to the bad weather. They will try again tomorrow afternoon though the forecast is not good.

No comments: