Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 8 January 2013

Grey.

Almost had a drama this morning. It started yesterday afternoon when Peter noticed that the interior light of my car was on due to me not shutting the door properly. He suggested that I leave my engine running to charge up the battery so I turned on the engine, went indoors and forgot all about it. That is until this morning when I thought it would be a good idea to turn the car and bring it closer to the house as it looked as if it was going to rain. Then I noticed that the fuel gauge was pointing to empty and realised that the engine must have continued running until it ran out of fuel. I had no idea how many miles I could drive on empty so I grabbed a petrol can and put on my walking boots (in case I had to walk/ hitch to town), and started to drive the six miles into town. When I remember I usually coast down hills anyway as petrol is so expensive and today I took advantage of every downward slope. I breathed a sigh of relief when I reached Shirwell for not only is it the half-way point but from there it is all downhill. The red warning light was on for the last mile of the journey but I made it to the petrol station. Phew! 
Driving out for the second time the clouds were down on the hills and visibility was limited. I had to stop before I got to the road when a group of riders appeared out of the mist on their way back down to the stables.
It was a lively afternoon as my class designed and then created a tasty sweet or cake to decorate a large witch's cottage (Hansel & Gretel), that is in their role play area. I gave them lots of choice of media but I think they had enough of collage work before Christmas and many chose to use watercolours. Surprisingly there were no disasters even though there were pots of water all over the place. It was nice to be able to praise them for their sensibility as that class has a group of boys who are often rowdy and silly. Indeed I had to give 2 of them a serious telling off later for pushing children over in the cloakroom.
Coming home the rain had begun to fall in earnest so I just pulled into a lay-by and took these shots of the misty hills through the car window.


No comments: