Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 29 January 2013

Wild.

Today it has been much warmer and the weather has been windy and mostly wet interspersed with extremely wet. I wasn't teaching in the morning but was free to go into town to meet up with 3 friends for coffee and cheesecake. We had a lovely time and the time passed all too quickly.I had a parcel to post but the first time I went into the Post Office the queue was at least 20 people long which would have been a ridiculous wait. I tried again after meeting my friends and there were only 4 people in front of me so I managed to get my parcel sent. Being in town I was able to drop into the health food shop to buy some sunflower seeds and some oat bran both of which I add to my morning oats. They are cheaper there than at the supermarkets and it is good to support local businesses.
At school there was a slight mix-up over which class I was teaching but it didn't cause any problems as I am working on the same art project with both classes and I've planned all the lessons for that project anyway. This afternoon I introduced my class to the concept of drawing profiles and gave them lots of dinosaur pictures to sketch before letting them search through the class books for more examples of profiles. Some of them found it quite hard so it will be interesting to see how they get on with drawing a scary monster (which nearly all have sketched full-face) in profile. 
Earlier this evening I tracked down a piece of music which had been running through my head. We heard it briefly on the TV and it brought back happy memories of a summer holiday with the boys when I only had one tape (yes that long ago), and played it over and over again. I knew it was Mozart and that it was a concerto but I wasn't sure if it was flute, horn or oboe. After a trawl through YouTube I had narrowed it down to a clarinet concerto, Mozart's only clarinet concerto in A. Then I compared different recordings. Even with professional orchestras there was a lot of variation but I selected a couple which I liked or at least reminded me of my original tape. Then I had to find a CD to buy. My first attempt with Amazon came to nothing because although I found the CD after 6 tries at the verification I gave up and bought it more cheaply on eBay.

No comments: