Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 24 January 2013

Icy.

I'm still amazed at how we are in a different world out here. At school the sun was shining and my class didn't even want to wear their coats at playtime. 
While 6 miles and 20 minutes away the slush had frozen and walking over the snow was like crunching through a giant crispy meringue (funny how most of my metaphors relate to food).
It was so icy at the turning that I couldn't reverse the car around the corner but had to drive down to Bowden Corner, turn carefully there, drive back and then reverse around the corner from the opposite direction.
There was a very pretty sunset this evening which was beginning to fade as I started my walk down the hill. It had seemed ridiculous to put on all my extra layers when I was leaving school so I had to put on my over-trousers, boots etc while sitting in the car. The wind was icy but as always the views make up for the extra effort of walking down. No more disasters at home but greedy Patch stole a raw potato and ate it all up, to my surprise.

2 comments:

happyone said...

Wow that is amazing how it can be so different yet not so far away!!

Ruta M. said...

I think the main reason is that Barnstaple is at sea level and we are 200m above sea level.