Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 13 January 2013

Lovely.

It's been a dry, slightly cold day with a watery winter sky that was more blue than grey. No rowing today so we listened to last week's Archers omnibus while enjoying a bit of a lie-in. Before we could go out for a walk Peter wanted to repair the insulation on the external water pipe as we are supposed to be due some cold weather. The last big flood had ripped some of the insulation off the pipe where it runs through the stream so we put on more insulation. That I tied on with garden string while we wait for the cable ties which I have ordered. The day's job done we headed out to Woolacombe for a walk. The good weather and clean waves had brought everyone out to the coast but luckily we found a parking spot on our second pass along the road.
The tide was fairly far out so we started our walk at Coombesgate beach,
and then walked down to the water's edge to potter about the rocks that stick up out of the sand.
I find the shapes of the rocks and the sand fascinating and could happily spend hours capturing them on film (can you say that if your camera is digital?)
Even after 20 years we still rejoice in the fact that such beauty lies on our doorstep, or at least a short drive away.
The tide was beginning to come in so we walked along the sands to Barricane beach making it just in time before it would be necessary to splash through the incoming waves. (Peter suggested I should name this post 'A Narrow Escape' but I thought that was a bit dramatic.)
The it was time to sit up on the cliffs for a welcome cup of coffee and watch the surfers. The 5-6ft waves were coming in cleanly though the surfers weren't getting long on them as they were breaking quite close to the shore.
As the sun began to drop we made our way home via Tescos. The evening sky was impressive, what I call a really big sky with mackerel clouds swirling to a point. Our journey home was marred by a motorbike rider who overtook me on a bend going up the hill from Ilfracombe. As he roared past a large van appeared around the bend! A few seconds earlier and that biker would have been sent flying with lethal consequences. I slowed down and put my hand to my head in horror and a couple out walking also looked utterly shocked. What a silly risk to take.
Back home I made our favourite potato, cabbage, onion, cheese and chorizo casserole for tonight's healthy winter warmer. 

2 comments:

lea said...

I do love your photos of the rock formations there, quite different from the ones here on the Oregon coast. Sometimes I think that I should start a blog just so I could share the scenery here.

happyone said...

Wow they are really cool pictures. I like them all!!!