Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 26 December 2013

Sunny.

We've had an enjoyable if different Christmas this year. To start with we are so glad that we have not been affected by the recent bad weather. Around 20,000 homes were without power over Christmas and there are still 1,500 homes that will probably not have power for a few days. And that's not taking into account people affected by flooding. Today has been dry and sunny but there are more storms due in the next few days.
For us Christmas started on the 24th with our traditional meal. There have been a few sad moments as our thoughts have turned to past years and  we were simply unable to start the meal with  the usual prayer thanking God for family and friends. The memories were just too painful though we are thankful for the love and support of those around us.
But life goes on and in keeping with our family tradition we attended the Midnight Service at the 700 year old church of St John the Baptist at East Down. It was a clear starry night as we set off though the recent rain had caused a small river to flow down the lane where we parked. As we lit our way with torches along the path there was a sudden shower which just as quickly turned to hail before we reached the shelter of the church. So it almost snowed at Christmas. Being more out of the way than Shirwell the congregation numbered only 25 which half filled the little church. Illness may have contributed to the low numbers and the vicar himself had been struck down by the lurgy. Instead the service was taken by a very jolly lady lay-reader. When we got home I gave Vytas a call on Skype and it was great to see him and Sally though as usual they couldn't see us. Best of all was to watch him open his present from us which was a pair of tickets for a helicopter flight on to a glacier. Sally knew about it and had booked the actual time but it was a surprise for Vytas. 
On Christmas morning I got up and did my usual exercises before officially calling a halt to my diet for the holidays. As it was just the 2 of us at home we exchanged our presents in bed and the room soon became filled with wrapping paper from our collection of silly and token presents. (Can't wait to see Peter in his reindeer hoody.) And then my body went into low gear as tiredness and a sinus infection overtook me. I slept most of the afternoon. Each time I tried to get up I was incredibly dizzy (that sometimes happens when my sinuses are bad) and I know the communion wine wasn't that strong! After a good rest our Christmas dinner of roast lamb, red cabbage, carrot & swede mash, parsnips and potatoes was very welcome. As I was talking to Vytas again on Skype Romas called so we had a disjointed but welcome 3-way conversation. Peter and I settled down to watch a disaster film but then Peter fell asleep so I put the film on hold and watched Call The Midwives instead. We used to live in Poplar and I'm pretty sure that the new location for Nonnatus house is just off Cable Street opposite the community allotments that we helped set up 30 years ago. Today Boxing Day, we have taken things easy. My dizziness has gone, thank goodness but my ears are buzzing instead. 

1 comment:

happyone said...

Glad you had a nice Christmas. We went to church too though it was early evening. Seems like a good way to start the holiday.
Having a warm home is certainly something to be thankful for.