This morning I thought I'd have a final go at repairing the kitchen door with the resin filler. It had been so badly gouged by the previous owner's dogs that any repair was an improvement but now I'm trying to do the best job I can. I haven't been able to recreate the curved inner edge of the damaged piece of wood as the resin has to be used quite quickly in this warm weather. I thought it would help if I could use something to create a straight edge to work to but a piece of wood wouldn't be any good because the filler would stick to it. Then I had a cunning idea - tape non-stick baking parchment over my bit of straight wood. And it worked, not a perfect edge but much better than I could do free hand.
I was on my way home from work nice and early and wondering if I should sand down the door this evening when the thought struck me - sanding = dust and I've just washed every bit of the kitchen aargh! Luckily my aged brain came up with a solution, hook a plastic dust sheet over the top of the door and tape all the sides to the walls. I crawled under the plastic and worked in my little tent which neatly trapped all the dust from the sanding.
It's such a pleasant evening that once I had cleaned up my DIY stuff I went and weeded halfway around the round pond. The pond is very low at the moment. We have been promised a hot dry week so I may don my wellies and climb in for some weeding and maybe some stomping around on the clay to repair the cracks where the water is leaking out. That pond stayed watertight for many years until I pulled out some of the yellow iris which I think caused the damage.