Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 12 September 2015

Day Out.

We had quite a few showers in the morning while later on the weather see-sawed between blazing hot and decidedly chilly. Even if we had stayed at home it wouldn't have been sensible for me to be gardening because my back is not too happy at the moment. As it was we went off to have a look around Peter's work as they were having an open day. We had a guided tour around the different factories to see the various processes. No photos though as I might have been an industry spy. It was quite interesting though I have to say it was nicer than the impression I had from Peter's descriptions. We also had free cake and burgers. (Cake for me and burgers for Peter.) I didn't mind going all the way to South Molton because it meant we could call in at one of my favourite shops, Mole Valley Farmers. It's not especially cheap, indeed some things are very expensive but it is the range of 'country' goods that thrills me. Everything from chick feeders to wormers to fancy riding clobber. I was pleased to find a yard broom with the handle firmly attached. The last time I was there I could only find brooms that you had to put the handle on yourself and somehow I've never been too successful with that. (I know it only needs a fitting and a drill but that is all too much.)
I was hoping to get a replacement pair of steel toe-capped wellies from this great selection but no luck. Not the ones I wanted at reasonable price. The most expensive ones there were £165! Instead I've just ordered a pair on-line for £15.  (I've covered over some guns because they offend my sensibilities.)
On our way home we stopped in town for an hour. I went to the library and found that once again I had a fine to pay. I exclaimed to the librarian that it would be good if they had a system for letting you know by email when your books are about to become overdue and guess what, they do. It's just that my details were from the days before all this technology. So we updated my details and there'll be no more fines as I can renew my books on line if I get an alert. In the library lobby were these cuddly assistance dogs. I chatted to one of the owners and she told me they were still in training, which takes 2 years. The lovely dog above (like a husky but twice the size) will be going into secondary schools to work with teenagers. I believe they can help calm over lively or worried children and they also help children who are struggling with their reading as they gain confidence by reading to the dog.
Coming home we hit some heavy traffic on the road. 
Yesterday I thought it was time to do something about getting a new everyday handbag. My current bag is looking very worn especially along the edges. I did some repairs a while back but even I have to say it looks quite tatty. I'm not into handbags that much but I am particular over the details. (Show me a fluffy top and I'll be very tempted. I nearly bought a super soft rose pink zip top at MVF today.) My bag needs a long strap and should be big enough to fit my SLR camera,A5 diary and my chunky purse and should be easy to open. I thought I'd look on eBay and narrowed my search to a make I like - Animal, to see if I could find something similar to my old one. There were a few hopefuls and then I came across the bag I already have. A quick check with the zoom to make sure it was in perfect condition and then I bought it. Not very adventurous I know but I was content with the old one so why not? 

No comments: