Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 1 September 2015

Back To Work.

I think it's been sunny today, not absolutely sure because I've spent most of the day in the staffroom at school going through lots of documents and policies. Most of the morning we were reviewing our safeguarding procedures including the Prevent (anti-radicalism) document. That's not too likely to occur here in North Devon but you never know. I was given a lovely bunch of roses as a belated birthday gift but despite writing a reminder on my hand I still drove home without them. Luckily I had put them in water. I'll leave myself a big note and leave it on the car's steering wheel so I don't forget them tomorrow. The afternoon was spent looking at Ofsted's expectations and boy they have raised the levels yet again.
Although I only work part-time I still get into a very relaxed, summer frame of mind during the holidays. My world shrinks down to this valley and I almost feel like I'm making an expedition when I head into town. Now I've shifted into a different gear and concepts such as feedback, assessment, and excellence are floating about in my head. There will be 30 new children to get to know in Reception, 60 if I end up teaching both classes not to mention trying to match parents to children. Luckily  the teaching assistants are much better at that or not many children would go home at the end of the day. (Children are sent out one at a time when a member of staff sees the correct adult waiting to collect them.)
The sun was shining when I got home so after I had driven the rubbish up to the road I did some more work in the hen run. It was while I was taking a breather and thinking about what to tackle next that I started thinking I might be able to reach one of the big branches of the tree that shades half-way across the run. That is if I get the double roof ladder up against the main trunk. The branch is at least 12" diameter but I should manage to cut it with the bow saw eventually.
I was pleased to see that the water mint I had transplanted to the bog garden has grown well and is flowering. I had tried planting a couple of times over the years and this is the first time it has taken.

1 comment:

Harriet said...

Lovely photo of the sheep. Best wishes for a good school term.