Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 10 September 2015

Wonderfully Warm.

Not only did the sun shine all day but the air itself was warm, no sudden freeze when you walk into the shade. There was a heavy dew this morning and all around the garden hammock-like spider webs glistened with droplets of dew. 

I spent the morning baking cup cakes, practise for the wedding and for Peter to take to work. I made chocolate ones using a different recipe which came out exactly as I wanted them, completely flat across the top so that I can pour ganache on them. I didn't make ganache today as I'm confident with my ganache recipe so instead I piped on smiley faces using a tube of pink icing I had bought to try. I also made lemon cup cakes but I'm not happy with the recipe so next I'll try the same one I used for the chocolate one substituting lemon for the chocolate.
So that I could keep an eye on my baking  I did some school work on the computer instead of going outside and getting distracted which sometimes happens.
My whole afternoon was spent working outside. The conditions were perfect for burning up all those branches I had piled up in the hens' run. The tricky part was keeping the bonfire small so that I didn't set fire to the pile of branches which covered almost all the area and making sure that the flames didn't get too high and damage the surrounding trees or indeed set fire to them. Some of the Rambling Rector rose did looked a little wilted but now it is established it is very vigorous and should recover quickly. Why is it that where ever you stand the wind always blows bonfire smoke into your face? I got burnt by flying cinders quite a few times and all I could think was "Don't damage my tattoo." when they landed on my back.
I never thought I'd manage it but eventually nearly everything was burnt up. I raked up the leaves and small stuff onto the fire and they are still smouldering away. I'll have a last check before we go to bed just to check it's all safe.

No comments: