Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 24 September 2015

Sunshine and Showers.

A sunny spell this morning enticed me out into the garden. 
A small tortoiseshell butterfly.
First with my camera to record the visitors to the sedum and marjoram bed. There were lots of bees and flies pretending to be bees as well as some speckled wood butterflies and even a red dragonfly.
 A blue damselfly.
Then I took myself up to the hens' run to finish cutting the 12ft tree trunk that was lying across the flower bed. After a bit of work with the bow saw I then thought I could use the length of the trunk to somehow lever it off the soil. Inch by inch I dragged it over the ground which even then I thought was extremely foolhardy especially with my back when there was a horrible crack from my lower spine, like when people crack their knuckles. In panic I sank to my knees hanging onto the trunk praying with all my might that I had not done something horrible to my back. That it was a good crunch as when the chiropractor works on you.  When the shock had subsided I knelt on the ground and rolled myself up to stretch the spine in the correct position. After a while I got up and things seemed to be working fairly normally. Then I assessed the situation with the trunk. It was far enough onto the concrete that I could use one of the branch stumps as a pivot and swing the whole trunk onto the concrete. A couple of cuts with the bow saw completed the cut I had started and the job was done. At that point I took myself indoors and applied plenty of anti-inflammatory gel to my back. Then I sat with an ice pack and watched a bit of tv. I spent the rest of the afternoon sewing new soles onto the bottom of my cosy sheepskin slipper bootees. It's getting too chilly to be in flip-flops all the time and my feet are starting to get cold in the evening.
My day was not over as I had a dentist appointment at 5.00 for the first fitting of my upper plate. I was there 15 mins early so I popped into Lidl's to get a few things. For once I didn't have to queue but as I drove out of their car park I realised I had forgotten black bin bags which we did need. So after my appointment I went back to Lidl's and this time was stuck behind several people queuing including somebody with an overflowing trolley. Lidl's are having a Greek promotion and I bought a box of assorted baklava to put away for a special occasion. My back is holding up though I am having to be careful and bend from my knees and be cautious when turning. All my own silly fault.

2 comments:

Harriet said...

My goodness, Ruta, I surely hope your back is ok. There is nothing more painful or frustrating than back trouble. Take it easy.

happyone said...

The red flower really pops out in the first picture. Very pretty.
Hope all is well with your back.
I love the word trolley you use for what we call a shopping cart. : ) There a lot of your words that I like better than ours.