Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 5 September 2015

Sunny.

With my back twinging a little this morning I thought I'd better take thing steady today. So why was my first act to shovel gravel? I'd noticed that there was too much gravel lower down the drive and it needed moving further up. No fool like an old fool I suppose.
I had meant to just tidy up in the hens' run but there was one branch, bare of smaller branches and leaves, sticking out in a very silly fashion. So back up the ladder I went and eventually down it came. Before doing that I'd had an initial tidy up of the concrete and put the second washing line up so that I could hang the washing out in the breeze. It had been cold in the morning but by the afternoon it was sunny and I was glad of the cooling breeze as I stood at the top of the ladder sawing away.
The sun brought out the butterflies. There were 4 Red Admirals on this buddlia bush. Lots of bumble bees and a few butterflies on the big sedums. I think most of the swallows have left for Africa. There were a couple still flying around today but the main crowd has gone. 
I would have liked to sit out in the sun for a bit like this Comma butterfly but there was ironing to be done. For once I had a couple of shirts to iron which brought back memories of the days when I had 20 shirts a week to iron for Peter and the boys. I quite like ironing but  that many which had to be done for work/school became a chore.

2 comments:

happyone said...

Another busy day for you.
I have a few shirts to iron too and don't mind it either.
I don't know what the flowers in your first picture are but I have some of them in my front garden as well.

Ruta M. said...

They are large sedums,sedum spectabile sometimes called ice plants and the butterflies love them.