Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 26 September 2015

Sunny.

Once more we've had a lovely sunny day, more warm than hot but definitely a day for shorts and flip-flops. However once I had done my morning chores including the daily task of picking up windfall apples, cleaning them and starting them stewing with some sultanas, I had a 'restful' time working at my pc. I completed one document for RE assessment, some space themed maths for my Year 2 class on Tuesday and nearly finished a lesson on the Solar System.
For a while I contemplated doing the mowing but to my relief the grass stayed too wet all day. I'm learning that I have to work out ways to get around my, hopefully temporary, disabilities. Using the long handled shears doesn't involve any bending and I was able to make a start on the annual cutting back of the wild meadow area. I would cut a swathe of grass then take a break with a cup of tea and my book followed by some mending of my old garden coat. The cats spent their time sprawled in the sun. Speedy lay on top of the table gently snoring and occasionally stretching his toes. He failed to notice the dragonfly that was sunning itself about 6" away from him.
The butterflies and bees were also making the most of the sun. 


I had an audience as I clipped away with the shears. I suppose I could have done the job with the electric strimmer but it makes such a mess and I worry about all the small creatures in the grass. With the shears I push the grass over so that it makes a sausage shaped bale which is easy to roll out of the way. I only had to bend down twice, once to move a toad and once for a frog. 
For me the wild meadow areas are the perfect solution to a wet clay patch where it would be hard to grow grass or many of the usual garden plants. Instead I have the pleasure of watching all the wildlife and only have to cut it once a year.

1 comment:

happyone said...

This time of year it's warm in the sun and cold in the shade.
Love the cows. : )