Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 13 September 2018

A Visit to St. John's.

I went over to St. John's Garden Centre this afternoon clutching a generous birthday gift voucher sent to me by our friends. St. John's has a wide range of plants as well as every sort of gardening equipment and lots of 'pretty' stuff. I was spoilt for choice and took my time to look at all the plants, several times as well as the rest of the things which for me is an enjoyable way to spend an afternoon. Did I want a plant or maybe something to beautify the garden? I was tempted by a resin dragon, about the size of a standard toaster but then thought that was maybe a childish choice. Then I saw the windchimes and spinners. I love windchimes but am also aware that the neighbours might not and I already have a small set hanging inside my study window which is usually open. I was very taken by a spinner that was just a silver helix with a glass ball inside that gave the illusion of travelling up the helix. But where would I place it and you needed to buy a battery driven motor to keep it spinning.
The garden centre has a tropical greenhouse (Jungleland) with animal models in differing scales to keep children amused. I hadn't been in it before but apart from the oddly scaled animals and a couple of aviaries it was interesting to see plants normally grown as house plants being left to grow to their natural size. The creeper with the morning glory type flowers almost as big as my hand was impressive.
Another dragon, a fountain this time that tempted me but the £175 price tag didn't. 

Back in the outdoor plant area my eye was caught by the display of grasses.
And then I hit the section with the tall grasses. It took me a long time to choose but eventually I decided on a tall grass with delicate flowers, Panicum Northwind. 
I also chose a Festuca Glauca as I love all blue foliage plants and two succulents, blue again, for the kitchen windowsill.  
Look at the wonderful shadows.

2 comments:

happyone said...

Good choices. : )
I love wind chimes.

Harriet said...

You had a lovely day!