Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 29 September 2018

Sunny.

It's been sunny with a hint of autumnal chill in the air. After the usual round of chores I drove over to the dump to get rid of more bags of garden waste. I called in at BJ's to buy a bag of compost and saw that they now have racks of violas in a variety of enticing colours. I'm still trying to decide if I really need any more violas to brighten up the winter garden. It was still sunny when I got home, even the heavy towels on the line were dry. Out went the sun loungers for us to catch the sun before the house shadow crept up to the back wall.
Yesterday on my way home from town I decided to walk through the churchyard instead of going around by the road. 
A real step back in time though the mock Tudor gateway and alms houses were in fact built in 1849. 

The church was originally part of the Benedictine Priory 925 -940 and was dedicated in 1259 with some rebuilding in the 15th and 17th centuries.  
It is a real pleasure to hear all eight church bells ringing out for Sunday services and for weddings as well as the Tuesday evening practice sessions. 

2 comments:

Harriet said...

Love photos of the church, Ruta. Thank you.

happyone said...

I love those pretty sunny days.
Wow that church is amazing and so old. So much history.