Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 28 March 2020

Clouds.

 Much cooler today as the clouds begin to gather.
Today I went out shopping, an exciting event in these lockdown days. The roads were very quiet as I drove across town to Lidl's. I was able to walk straight into the shop wearing latex gloves to avoid getting contaminated. By the time I came out shoppers were being asked to wait outside until there was more room in the store. I had taken my MP3 player with me and it came in handy as I waited to check out. I couldn't get a good radio signal and listened to Dire Straits instead. One shopper wore gloves and very unusual for the UK, a better quality DIY mask. There was also one elderly gentleman who shouldn't have been out at all. People were quite good at maintaining the 6ft spacing, either waiting patiently for the person in front of them to move along or moving as close as possible to the edge of the aisle to edge past. Pasta still in short supply, ditto toilet paper though there were enough packs on the shelf. I was surprised to find plenty of paracetamol in Lidl's so two packs went in my trolley along with more of our staples. In Tesco's you could see they had set up for long queues outside with a one way system but while I was there it wasn't needed. Just inside the doors there was a table with wipes and spray to use if you wanted to clean your trolley or basket. Between Lidl's and Tesco's I found everything on my list apart from wholemeal pasta which Peter likes. Looking at our well stocked cupboards we can maintain our usual menus for two weeks and there are sufficient basics to keep us going for another two weeks. It was nice to be out and exchange a few words with other people but staying home is the safer option. On the way home I stopped to drop off a TV magazine for a friend who is self-isolating for medical reasons. 
Back home the postman, (Rich who is Peter's friend) delivered a parcel containing 400 pairs of latex gloves. Even though we both washed our hands after handling the shopping bags I feel safer with the extra protection of gloves when out. I also washed all the door handles with hot soapy water to be on the safe side.
There was a lovely sunset last night. To the naked eye the sun was a blazing red ball sinking down behind the hill.

No comments: