Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 21 March 2020

Windy.

Even brighter again with a strong wind.
It was a good drying day but instead of hanging out washing which would have got caught up in the pots and chairs moved off the decking I set to with painting on the decking stain. When I went to B&Q my spirits were raised by the sight of a tin of 'cedar' quick drying stain only to have them dashed by the realisation it was the only tin on the shelf. I ummed and aahed, so much so that a chap asked if I needed help getting something down from the shelf. Instead I settled for a different make of 'golden cedar' which looked to be similar. When I opened the tin this morning I realised that I had probably used this make before. What gave it away was the bright pinkish mauve colour of the stain in the tin which I remember seeing before. Happily it dries to an acceptable orange colour.
Having the decking already cleared I was able to get to work straight away. I splashed on as much of the stain as I could especially on the original decking. I don't remember the wood being in such a state last year and it all still needs at least one more coat. Something else that will have to be done soon is cutting the grass. I keep hoping that the council will come and cut the central grass as it has got very long. Just now one of the neighbours who usually just cuts his front lawn has gone over a lot of the grass in front of his house so his little boy (5/6years old) can play on it more easily. On the other hand one of the other neighbours mowed his grass again to bowling green perfection and ignored the central grass.
While I was out yesterday I saw somebody give a homeless person as small bottle of alcohol get which I thought was very kind. Since hearing that programme about how even giving food or a hot drink acts as a disincentive to the homeless getting more all round help from local shelters I've not done so. Here the Salvation Army run a shelter and one of their members was out collecting so I gave my help that way. FB and the radio (my main sources of information) are full of on-line sites giving practical help or ways to occupy the time being spent away from other people. I might even be tempted to watch one of the big theatre musicals that are now on-line. Yesterday evening a friend of mine posted a video of herself and neighbours all standing out by their front gates, many with glasses and bottles of wine having a sing song led by a chap with a guitar. So far none of the restrictions make any difference to my daily life though the charity shops might all be closed when I need to visit the bank or the chemist.

1 comment:

happyone said...

Nice job on the deck. Looks great.