Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 3 April 2022

Sunny.

Horrible stories of atrocities in Ukraine. No different to those from other wars around the world. What is it in human nature that allows men to behave like this? All we can do is pray for an end to each and every war in this sad world.
Here it has not been too windy but still quite cold. In the sun and out of the wind it has been quite pleasant to sit outside.
After our leisurely breakfast and The Archers my first job was to sort out the satellite dish cable that hangs down over the kitchen window. Or it would have been if the cable clips I had were the right size. Never mind, Peter has ordered me the right clips and I'll deal with the cable once they arrive.
Instead I got on with my boot refurbishment. The first part was the most awkward, blanket stitching around the rim of cut off slippers attached to the new soles. That tidied up the cut edge and gave an easier edge to stitch the sheepskin tops to.
Then I took a break to make what I am calling a half an half cake. Peter had run out of cake and being mindful of all the energy saving advice on consumer programmes and the blogs I read I thought I'd bake two cakes at the same time. However I discovered we only had five eggs which even with my relaxed attitude to quantities when baking wasn't enough for two full sized cakes. So I made a smaller amount of basic cake mixture, added cocoa and chocolate to one half and apple and spices to the other. Then I put both mixes in a large ring mould to bake and voila! we have a half an half cake. Frozen in sections it should last quite a while.

Once the cake was in the oven the sun had reached the terrace and I was able to sit out, well wrapped up, and finish off the boots. Now my toes and ankles will be toastily warm in the evenings.

No comments: