Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 11 August 2022

Hot.

I didn't put the thermometer out today but I'm sure it was as hot if not even hotter than yesterday.
We were just sitting down to breakfast when Peter spotted dolphins fishing close by. Naturally I ran out with my camera and for once got some reasonable photos.
This photo shows how close they were as they circled the fish on our side of the nearest reef. Even first thing in the morning there were plenty of people on the beach and it wasn't long before one of them spotted the dolphins too. And did we hear all about it - each time one of the dolphins surfaced there were excited yells telling everyone what she had just seen. A shame that somebody on a paddleboard began to approach one of the dolphins. She didn't get close but it was near enough for the dolphins to stop feeding and move on.
I had run out of things to wash but instead hung the contents of one of my clothes boxes out to air. Generally the plastic storage tubs keep everything in good condition but occasionally I'll find a little mustiness which can be dispersed with a good airing in the sun. Sometimes I feel bad for having so many stored clothes but I look on my boxes as my personal clothes shop which will keep me in clothes maybe for the rest of my days. I knew that we were likely to be retiring somewhere with a much smaller selection of clothes shops or supermarkets with large clothing sections and I wasn't planning on spending time travelling looking for clothes. It was fun looking through today's box of summer pj's (which could also be classed as leisure wear) as they bring thoughts of warm summers, relaxing in the sun and maybe even dreaming of holidays abroad. 
It was very hot at the community gardens as there wasn't much breeze that far inland. Today's job was to move the wooden henhouse to a new spot under the fruit trees. The three hens are let out when we are there but when no one is around they have to stay inside an electric fence to keep them safe from the foxes. We enjoyed the lemon drizzle cake made by Cat but we didn't stay chatting for too long as it was so hot. Cycling back (all the way without stopping!) I was just going over the level crossing when the warning bells began to ring. If that had happened when I was first cycling I'm sure I would have panicked but today I simply carried on knowing there was enough time before the barriers would start to come down.
Back home Peter and I worked together to glue wood under two of the terrace table's feet and to tighten up the joints with an allan key so that the table no longer wobbles. A job that needed doing especially as we've been eating more meals outside in this weather.
Then I carried on cutting back the bushes and plants by the steps to clear the way. It was in the shade so it wasn't too hot to work there. By the time Peter goes to the dump the car will be overflowing! The car passed its MOT and is back home thank goodness. The mechanic says it should pass for a few more years which is another thing to be thankful for.
 

It's not easy trying to take a photo of a cat's face.
Amazingly the cut on Speedy's cheek which looked so dramatic yesterday is hardly noticable today. The cut above was too close to his eye for me to put the gel on but it's dried up and looks okay so far.

No comments: