Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 9 August 2022

Sunny.

Hot and sunny again today.
I cycled down to the zoo this morning in shorts but sensibly slathered on factor 50 sunscreen and had plenty of insect repellant to hand. I carried on weeding in front of the main gates which is now looking a lot better. One of my fellow volunteers commented that I was weeding the car park which is correct but I think that the visitors' first impressions are important. It was still pretty busy at the zoo but nothing like the crowds that were there for the VIP day. 
Back home there were some holes in one of Peter's t-shirts to mend which I could do out on the terrace after which I did some weeding in the back garden. 
The first sugar snap peas.

As promised, photos of the Dyfi Osprey Project. From the main building we had a good view of the boardwalk that runs over the wetlands of the reserve to the main hide.
The boardwalk takes you through reeds and bullrushes past a number of small ponds.
Dotted around the place are plenty of comfy looking benches and chairs. I would love to come and sit for a couple of hours watching the wildlife. I had brought my binoculars along and watched an emperor dragonfly patrolling the pond. 
There are also lots of information boards. I liked this one with its phonic descriptions of the songs of the different warblers to be found in the reserve.
Eventually we got to the main hide at the far end of the boardwalk. This is an impressive wooden architect designed structure designed for ease of watching the ospreys.
Up on the top floor is an outdoor space as well as a room set up with bird watching telescopes to use and a giant screen showing a live feed which can be moved and zoomed in to where ever the birds are.


Back at the reception/shop/cafe there were more screens showing recordings of the birds and also of the beavers which are being introduced to the area. No wonder they film part of Springwatch here.
Everything was done to the highest standard, you can see that no expense has been spared. I loved the design of the stairs to the upper dinning space (including baby grand piano) and terrace.
 

No comments: