Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 20 August 2022

Windy.

Wild seas today with a strong but warm wind blowing all day.
This morning, while Peter went off to town to get rid of all the bags of tiles and wood from the old garden chairs which he'd finally decided were too far gone to repair I carried on knocking tiles off the bathroom wall. Some on the old door frame only came off in shards, (they must have used extra strong tile adhesive) but others were easier. The biggest chunk was all of 14 of the big tiles plus the smaller ones still stuck on behind. 
And then it was back to the long hedge which is now done for the winter. While the slope isn't perfectly even my goal of getting all the thicker stems cut and a good 6-9" off the top has been achieved. I was pleased to see that a number of honeysuckle stems that I had transplanted from the other side of the garden had made their way up to the top of the hedge. One of the benefits of cutting the hedge is talking to passing neighbours especially when they say nice things about the hedge and the way the front of the house looks.
Out in the back garden a single self-sown nasturium that popped up by the blue grass is happily spreading over the pebbles. The nasturiums in the troughs by the street are also doing well. Not as well as this one but not bad considering the winds that blast up the street. And they're getting munched by a variety of caterpillars. I think the birds are helping out by eating the caterpillars and I regularly check for any they miss. These I throw into the road for the birds or the cars.
It was such a lovely afternoon that I had an extra long session sitting out on the terrace. A bodywarmer to keep me cosy and a coffee to hand, what more could I want? I took my kindle out to read but for most of the time I simply watched the sea  with its changing colours and heaving waves. There was a lone hardy surfer, one wind surfer zooming about and the guy with the purple wing surfer that reminds me of a sodden butterfly when it ends up floating on the water.

 

No comments: