Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 26 August 2022

Wet.

The day began grey and gloomy, then we had heavy showers for most of the day with the sun breaking through later in the afternoon.
I started with a quick walk down to the shop to buy some tahine (to make hummus) and cottage cheese for supper. I left Peter taking out the airing cupboard door in the bathroom and once he'd done that he decided he had enough stuff for a dump run and a quick visit to Morrisons. I wish I'd known because the local shop is more expensive than the supermarket but then again it's good to support the shop.
When I returned, just before a very heavy shower, I took everything off the dresser and desk in the living room, wiped off the dust and then gave the wood a going over with Brywax. I prefer the smell and the idea of using beeswax but Brywax is what is used by antique dealers (at least in my day). Being petroleum based it has a strong initial smell but perhaps it soaks in better and the smell soon goes. I thought I might as well use the Brywax since I changed my mind about restoring a small wall cupboard for the bedroom.
We unscrewed the mirror from the bathroom which left the wall clear for me to carry on taking off tiles. I realised that parts of the bathroom have yet another layer of tiles, the original white tiles put up without any grout. They seem to be stuck on firmly so will leave those up but even so it was hard work chipping off the top layer of tiles. On the other hand where the tiles had been stuck onto board they came off very easily and I cleared the whole of that wall barring the bit behind the radiator.
Before Peter left I pulled up all the 5ft high lettuces keeping a couple of the small ones for a last few salads. We are now eating the sugar snap peas which are cropping reasonably well.
The last job of the day was to make some hummus as we're going to a party this weekend and the invite specified vegetarian food. I've kept the garlic to a minimum and made it more lemony this time.

 

1 comment:

happyone said...

Enjoy the party!!