Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 25 August 2022

Sunny.

Bright and sunny today with a light crisp wind.
It was a good day for cycling down to the community gardens and by the time I'd spent an hour chopping back the nettles and brambles under some of the apple trees it felt really hot. The benches sit in a sheltered suntrap so I was glad I'd remembered to bring my sunhat along. I made sure that the lettuce I'd brought to share was in the shade but one of the cheeky hens kept trying to pinch the leaves. I had to put the lettuce next to me to keep it safe. While we were sitting waiting for today's cake (it was buttered malt loaf) a young rabbit came hopping along and sat in the middle of everybody chewing the long grass stem it had in its mouth. There are a lot of very bold rabbits around the community gardens.
After 'Cake and Cultivate' (the official name of the Thursday meeting) I cycled on along the lane with one of the group members to Borth Station to visit the small museum there. The chap I was with volunteers at the museum and he was able to tell me more about some of the exhibits. 
At the moment they have an exhibit of the 3,000 year old antlers that were found in the submerged forest off the beach.

As well as a lot of railway related items they also had other items from the forest including the 5,000 year old flint tool for scraping animal skins.

An interesting little museum that I will return to.

Looking inland across the railway line.
Instead of going up to the High Street from the railway station I back tracked and cycled along the loop running back to the church and community gardens, past the zoo and then back up to the High Street.
Apart from being safer it's a lot prettier and has several uphill sections to provide a challenge for my weedy legs.
This building used to be the power station, that it is housed a number of generators that provided the first electricity supply for the village.
By the station I had to cross the railway line. No automated gates but just a gate and a sign telling you to look before you cross. I had to cross the railway again by the Star of the Sea chapel, now a community arts centre (in the centre of the photo) and that was through an automated set of gates that come down when a train is approaching.
By the time I got home Peter had gone out rowing. They had both boats out today and had some fun racing against each other. I spent the afternoon working in the front garden digging out the stump of an elder from under the hedge, planting the last of the rescued daffodil bulbs and tidying up the inner face of the long hedge. I didn't finish until nearly 5.00 however it was so nice and sunny I still enjoyed a couple of hours sitting in the sun.
There was an dramatic sunset again last night. We were standing on  the terrace watching the sun disappear below the horizon and amazingly both saw the  green flash when the last remnant of the disc turns green for a couple of seconds. Last year when we used to watch the sunset out on the cliff with various neighbours everyone used to laugh at my efforts to squint to see a green flash but there was no doubt last night. That was the most common green flash but there are also rarer versions where the disc distorts into an hourglass shape with the top part turning green or even a vertical green beam appearing. That would have me thinking of UFOs. 

No comments: