Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 24 July 2013

Gentle Rain.

As the forecast was for rain, possibly tonight but definitely tomorrow I thought I better spend the day working outside. (The rain started half an hour ago as steady gentle rain unlike other parts of the country that yesterday had a month's worth of rain in a few hours.) 
Today's task was to shift the pile of soil next to the compost heap, clear the nettles and brambles and give the concrete a good sweep. I had a small bonfire and burnt the brambles and scraps of wood so not only was I covered in dust from my vigorous sweeping  but was gently scented with smoke. Such a relief to get in the shower.
It must be quite confusing for my solitary hen to have things change so much. I don't think she is going to last much longer, she is wobbly on her feet and keeps her wings spread out a little to help her balance. She took herself off to sleep around 2.00 and then got up at 4.00 after her nap for some corn.
After last year's lack of butterflies it has been good to see lots of Ringlet butterflies around the place. They are dark brown/black and flutter erratically about the place so I was lucky to find this one resting on a leaf. I've also seen some Small Whites about. 
I think the sparrows must be nearly ready to leave the nest. This afternoon, before the rain, I could hear the chicks chirp from the nest, then the adult would reply from up on the roof, then the chick again and so on. At least with the rain the cats will be indoors rather than waiting to pounce on any fledglings that don't get airborne. 
                              
I had my first try at making hummus today. Last year one of the boys made some using tinned chickpeas but they were rather salty for our taste. Instead I bought a bag of dried chickpeas, soaked some and then cooked them before blending and adding lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and seasoning. I didn't have any tahini and maybe I'll use less garlic next time but it was still pretty tasty.

1 comment:

Harriet said...

Ruta, A feast for my eyes the photo of your home. Lovely and tranquil. Enjoy your day.