Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 10 July 2013

Off The Scale.

I've been teaching all day and every time I set foot in either of the 2 playgrounds the heat hit me like a wall. It was so good that we could use the Secret Garden for playtimes. Children still chose to go outside for 'outdoor learning' activities but for once they did not argue when I insisted on them wearing sun hats and sticking to the shade. Because I'm prone to getting a headache in the sun I am quite strict about this and keep a floppy straw hat to wear when I have to be outside. But often the children (and adults) don't bother. It's probably because we hardly get much in the way of sun that we get caught out when it does appear.
This was the temperature in our garden at 4.10 when I got home. I sat out in the shade until it got a bit cooler.

This large (6") Golden-Ringed Dragonfly has been patrolling the garden for a few days now.  Today it stopped long enough on a bush for me to get a few decent photos. I've noticed 1 or 2 butterflies around but it is still too early to tell if the numbers have recovered since last year.

No comments: