Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 11 July 2013

Still Hot.

It looked like it was going to be another nice day so I got up fairly early. By 8.30 I'd fed, washed, watered, hoovered and loaded the washing machine. There were a few dark clouds around and it was a shock to the system to be experiencing only 15C but things soon warmed up. I spent my morning shifting some branches I cut the other day and cutting back brambles. At one point I gave myself a hefty whack on the cheekbone when I turned too quickly and walked into a stump that was sticking out of the bank. But there's hardly a mark. It felt good to stop work at 11.00, have a shower and then spend half an hour drying my hair in the sun before heading off to work.
My single redcurrant bush is doing very well this year. Normally the birds strip the currants as soon as they show any sign of turning red but this year I've been lucky. Perhaps the presence of all the rooks is keeping them away. They are definitely setting up a rookery which is annoying Peter but we can't shoot at them  (to scare them off) because the tree isn't on our land. Anyway I do get to eat a handful of redcurrants every time I go up to feed the hen or hang up washing.
By the time I left for school the temperature was up to 49C. The heat and that end of term/school year feeling is getting to everyone at school and things have become quite leisurely. We had another art afternoon and mean old 'Miss' wouldn't let anyone outside without a sun hat. You'd think after all these days of sun that they would all have some sort of hat. Incidentally there was a lovely letter on the staffroom noticeboard  from the health centre complimenting the other class on that great 5-a-day poster they made. After school I went into town as I had a stack of library books to take back. When I left I found a credit  card on the pavement just outside the library. I took it in to the library thinking that might be the first place the owner might ask if it had been found but they refused to take it in and said I should take it to the police station. Instead I took it to the Lloyd's as that's my bank anyway and the police station would have been further to walk. As it was, strolling back down the High Street via a few sales including Monsoon, (didn't buy anything,) made me 5 mins too late for the health food shop so I was forced to drop into a chain health food shop to get my carob coated ginger. 
I didn't get home until 6.30 so I passed on the meeting I could have been going to and instead had some tea by the scree garden and then followed the sun up the road. Peter's gone off for a row and I need to get on and iron a sheet to put on the bed, just love that freshly ironed smell.

No comments: