Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 12 July 2013

Phew !

Another roastingly hot day with the thermometer reading 55C since mid-morning. The Rayburn engineer called by yesterday and did some adjustments to the oil valve thingy which he said would either shift the blockage or stop the oil completely. Soon after he left the Rayburn went out but that was good as it meant I could give it a good clean this morning. I took everything out of the oven and scrubbed off years' worth of carbonised spillages and then cleaned the outside of the Rayburn. Being hot all the time any spills set solid and you have to be careful when cleaning because the surface is a high gloss enamel. The engineer came today and spent 2 hours working in the tiny space at the side of the Rayburn dismantling the oil valve and cleaning out all the gunk. It was expensive but now the Rayburn is working at maximum efficiency (I nearly boiled the kettle dry). Peter can do the servicing but anything else needs special tools which would be too expensive to buy for one repair. 
I spent a little time out in the sun but was forced to retreat to a spot where I can sitting in the shade but also stick my legs out into the sun. Apart from cleaning all I've done today is make myself a wide headband from one of the cut off legs of the pyjamas that I turned into shorts last week utilising the elasticated cuff as well as some of the spotty fabric. I'm trying to think if there is anything I can make with the rest of the fabric. Maybe a matching bow tie for Peter? Perhaps not.

No comments: