Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 9 July 2013

Heatwave.

I had a surprise from my hen this morning. When I went up to feed her she wouldn't come out of the nest box and I thought it indicated that she was on her last legs especially as she sometime wobbles. I thought I better put her out in the run to see how bad she was and lo and behold she was sitting on 8 eggs! I had given up looking this year as she only laid about 6 last year and nothing all this spring. For a moment I thought about letting her sit on them to increase my flock (spot the blonde moment) - it wasn't until 5 minutes later that it clicked, no cockerel, no chicks. Later I spent an hour cutting back the ivy which was growing up some walls. That was hot work as I had covered up to avoid getting scratched by brambles and twigs but the cool shower before I went to work was so refreshing.
My garden thermometer was reading 45C when I left for work and it was still the same when I got home. Just to check I brought down the thermometer from our bedroom (something we have to confirm how cold it gets in the winter). At school the playground was roasting but luckily we could use the Secret Garden where the children played happily in the dappled shade. My classroom, with the blinds pulled down and all the doors and windows was breezy but cool. I did give in and wear a skirt to school (with my fat bum I feel a skirt makes me look too ..... large) and a loose top so I was nice and comfortable.
Coming home the countryside smelt of cut grass as the farmers have been busy making silage. 
For once it was too hot, even with the welcome breeze, to sit in the sun so I retired to a more shady part of the garden to have my cuppa.

No comments: