Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 20 September 2014

Busy Day.

I've been into town 3 times today which is very unusual for me. The first time was my dentist appointment which was not a pleasant experience. I think I may have to call in and leave a note in the comments book suggesting that the dentists wait for the injection to take effect before poking at exposed nerves. My chap seemed to think that he could could get on with things as soon as he gave me the injection. I raised my hand to show he was hurting me not once or twice  or even 3 or 4 times but at least 5 or 6 times accompanied by flinching and some whimpering. I don't even know how many injections he gave me but when the numbness finally took over I was so relieved. ( Reading this it sounds terrible, I think I need to write to the Practice Manager because now I am even more wary of having any treatment.) Eventually my re-root canal filling was done but I won't have a crown on that tooth for 6 months. The dentist said it was to make sure the root canal filling had worked but with only some amalgam on that tooth I can't use it to chew. So now I have no teeth to chew with, only my incisors and canines to nibble like a rabbit. For 6 months! I think I will check that out too.
The second trip to town was to go with Peter to man the gig club 'stand' for 3 hours. I spent the first hour and a half going around the shops before going to join Peter fortified by some fudge from Roly's Fudge shop where they make the fudge in front of you.

This was the view from the gig looking up The Strand. Not a lot of passing trade for the Guides, roller skaters or Conservatives publicity stands. There was a children's carnival, basically a fancy dress competition but I only saw about 20 kids dressed up. Most people were either at the fair or shopping in the High Street.
We left at about 3.00. More people were starting to gather for the carnival which was due to start at 6.00. That's a proper carnival with bands and decorated lorries and is generally quite a spectacle. Walking back to the car park we could see tractors and lorries heading for the civic centre car park where the judging takes place. 
For us it was home to rest our weary legs and after some tea, painkillers and a choux bun I was ready to drive back into town to meet my friend. 
I caught the tail end of the carnival and then my friend and I walked with all the crowds over the bridge to the fair. No fireworks this year. The story is that they couldn't get permission from the new owners of the wasteground on the other side of the river  but I suspect it was more to do with saving money. (I hear that London is going to charge the 100,000 people who go to watch the New Year fireworks.)
It was a warm evening for walking around the fair, the second biggest in the country, greeting acquaintances and seeing lots of kids from school. I have no desire to go on the big rides but it is fun to watch other people enjoying being spun upside down and bounced around.
The carousel was back again this year so we had gentle ride and great fun it was too.
So  bad start but a good end to the day.

No comments: