Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 14 September 2014

Overcast.

More cloud and a little cooler today with a good drying breeze. It's getting to the point where I'm not sure if I should have the doors and windows open or closed. I like a fresh air through the house though that's sometimes comes with the twang of slurry but soon it'll be time to conserve the heat. I'm still going around in shorts and flip-flops but with a body-warmer or fleece as well.
The long handled hoe is my favourite garden tool of the moment. Since I have no hens to keep down the weeds the hens' run has become rather overgrown. So right now I'm clearing the ground with the hoe - a bending-free method. The hoe also comes in handy for gathering up the apples. Flicking the reject windfalls to the side  brought back memories of playing hockey at school and it's a lot easier to bring the bigger apples to my feet so I can pick them up in one go. The red apples are a decent size but I should have thinned out the apples on the nearer tree as they are all quite small. At the moment I seem to always either have a pan of apples cooking away on top of the rayburn or a tray of puree drying in the warming oven.
At Peter's request I planted some chili seeds from peppers he had bought and we ended up with 2 plants. These are in the conservatory and having been carefully hand pollinated with a paint brush there are 22 chili peppers forming. 

1 comment:

happyone said...

Turned chilly here last night. This morning it was only 38 degrees (F) Warmed up in the 60's during the afternoon.