Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 29 September 2014

Still Warm.

Why is it that on a day when I'm not rushing on to work I wake up at 5.00 and then can't get back to sleep? My own fault for overdoing things I suppose and in the end I got up at 6.30 and had an early start to the day. I had time this morning to mix up another bucket of mortar and fill in 1 more row of pointing. I'm pinging out as much as I can of the old mortar to get a more consistent if not exactly tidy finish.
It was very misty on the way to school with my views being limited to the first line of hills and not a sign of the sea. I did wonder if I had been unwise in not bringing a coat but it soon warmed up into a lovely afternoon. I was working with the little children again. This was their first day of staying for the whole day and during the afternoon there were a few voices asking if it was time to go home yet. I worked with 3 children making a junk model train assessing how well they could work together, use equipment etc. 
After work I walked into town to change my library books and visit a few shops. I'm afraid that for the first time I gave in to the lure of reduced cakes at the bakers. From about 4.45 one of the staff from Warrens stands at the corner of the pedestrianised road calling out the end of day bargains. They bake fresh goods daily so you can get loaves of bread and cakes quite cheaply. I bought a muffin for Peter and 2 fresh cream choux buns for me all for a £1 and very indulgent. 
Peter had a physiotherapy session for his shoulder this afternoon which was painful but he came home feeling positive. He was lucky enough to be with a senior physiotherapist, who remembers him from his IT days and is making a special study into shoulder injuries so he really knows what he is doing. Peter has some exercises to do at home but the important thing is to rest his arm and not be tempted to use it when the pain dies down.
I stopped up by the Lewis' farm on the way home to take a few photos. Looking southwards the setting sun had turned the sea golden while in the other direction all the farm machinery needed for silage making was tidily parked in a field. 
These calves in the field were a bit scared of me but they could have been as young as a week old. Mr Lewis has a dairy herd so male calves are killed at birth while the heifer calves are taken away from their mothers to grow up into more milk producers. It's a harsh world but I do eat dairy products, and meat so I should stop being such a sentimental softy. At least these calves will spend their lives living in grassy fields apart from the worst of the winter when the cows live in barns. 

1 comment:

Harriet said...

You've done a great job with your mortar!!! I like your mother's saying too. Cows...........my dear sister was married to a dairy farmer. He milked about 30-40 head. We loved to visit the farm. The calves were always a favorite. In my minds eye, I can see them now cavorting around the pasture. All female calves were greatly appreciated. The males not so much. Thanks for jogging my memory.