Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 23 September 2014

Warm.

Up early again and when the sun rose it was to reveal a very foggy morning. As I drove under the tunnel of trees at Ashelford Corner there was a wall of sunbeams streaming through a gap in the trees. My journey in to work was sometimes through the fog, sometimes above it and sometimes beside it as it formed pillows over the fields. For a lot of the time I could not see anything past the hedges on either side of the road and Barnstaple itself was shrouded in greyness. It soon cleared and we had a warm if hazy day. I did much the same as yesterday but with the other reception class. It's now been decided that I will work both afternoons with that class and I can plan my own creative activities. That will be fun.
Yesterday evening there was a butterfly on the kitchen window sill. Peter told me that he had rescued it from a spider's web but that it was dead. This morning the dead butterfly had hidden itself and when I came home it was resting by the blue glass bottles. It has lost most of one wing and part of the other so I didn't think much of its chances if I put it outside. Instead I gave it a piece of cotton wool soaked in honey water (we used to give the school butterflies sugar water on cotton wool) and currently it is hiding behind the bottles again.. 
When I got home from my lovely morning with the little ones I got on with my latest project - repairing the path to the front door. Here is stage 2 complete, I've cleaned out all the debris; leaves, moss etc from the bricks. Stage 1, buying sand and cement, was done yesterday. That was a lot of kneeling and bending so afterwards I did some grass trimming with the new shears. Good edges do make a lot of difference to the look of a garden. And after that I peeled and chopped another pan of apples. There are a lot of small apples on the trees, maybe I'll use those for more apple leather. In the middle of all this activity I had a phone call from the dentists' Practice Manager. There wasn't much she could say about the dentist only that he wasn't aware that I had been in so much pain - duh, he did say sorry each time but now I've been moved to another dentist who has just come back from maternity leave. I've still got to wait 6 months though before getting a new crown fitted.
PS We had a nice surprise with today's class - they were sitting in a circle and the planned activity was to pass a toy around the circle counting up to 10 and then starting again. They did this all the way around and then the teacher changed the direction. All went fine as they went from 1 to 10 and the next child said 11, the next 12 and they got all the way to 30 with only a couple of children needing a little prompt. Nice to see they are so confident with the number names already. They are only 4 years old, some of them only just 4.

No comments: