Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 25 September 2014

Grey.

I've had a very busy day at school which at least has made the time fly by. The children who have recently moved up to Year 1 (5 years old) now have to get used to doing one subject- maths, before playtime and moving to another - literacy, after playtime with almost no time for 'choosing' other learning activities. Last year the same age group did one subject spread over the whole morning but the introduction of the New Curriculum apparently means that work has to be done at a much faster pace. Luckily I don't have to do the planning for maths and literacy so I just carry out whatever the class teacher has planned - usually. At least the afternoon was a lot more relaxed with the children making sculptures/pictures with natural objects in the style of Andy Goldsworthy. 
I put my little car in for its MOT today and as I was teaching I got a message to phone the garage. That's a sign that more work is needed but when I phoned it wasn't too much work. I do need a new (secondhand) axle but when I went to collect the car the part hadn't arrived. The car is okay to drive so I'll have to put it in tomorrow and find out the exact cost at the end of the day.
Traffic hold up on the way home. 

2 comments:

happyone said...

Sounds like the more relaxed work schedule for the kids would be better. They still are so young.

Harriet said...

I don't have children or grandchildren in school any longer; however, I have neighbors with small children who have told him curriculum at all levels has been speeded up. I often wonder who makes the new rules? Is there any proof of more success for children? Or is it simply the "choice" of the moment? I do wonder.