Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 2 February 2015

Icy Winds.

Our little long tailed visitor was back again last night. This time in our bedroom. Even with my headphones in and Peter snoring I could hear some little scrabbling noises as I lay in bed. I tracked them down to my wardrobe where I still had a couple of sealed bags of porridge oats one of which had been nibbled into. Today I took the cheese and flapjack out of the humane mouse trap which so far has failed to catch a single mouse in the spare bedroom or the kitchen, put porridge oats in  and have left it on the floor near my wardrobe. Watch this space.
I was teaching all day today so it was an early start driving up the hill with Peter to pick up my car from the gateway. The cars were heavily covered in ice but the roads themselves were clear. The icy winds have made it feel cold outside all day long so I was quite happy to be in a nice warm school. In the afternoon I was teaching the children about where their food comes from. During one activity I was told quite decidedly that carrots come from carrot trees. Also that bread was made from milk! Earlier on one child had come up to me and informed me that "when you are old, say 20 or you are a nanny, really old like 100 then you will die." Kids are so funny.
After school I popped into town for an hour. Back home I took the rubbish up to the road, laid a fire, turned on the central heating as well and that's all my jobs done for the day.

3 comments:

happyone said...

Maybe you should get some of the old snapping kind of traps. I'm not so kind hearted about the mice as you are!! : )

lea said...

During the summer when we are at our cabin in B.C. we use a humane trap too. The mice are the native Deer Mouse, they live there all year, we are the visitors (and they are very cute). The common House mouse (Mus musculus) here would not get the same treatment.

Ruta M. said...

I might have to buy a different type of humane trap as I could never use a spring mouse trap. I'm too soft hearted though I would kill a fly!