Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 5 February 2015

Overcast.

I've had the whole day at home which I really enjoy. I thought I would get a lot of things done but it wasn't as productive day as I had hoped. First up I had planned to bake some chocolate muffins for Peter to take to work tomorrow. I had got as far as melting the butter when I discovered that there were no eggs. There had been some but Peter must have taken them to work to give to a friend. Peter gets eggs by the tray from another friend and often gives some away. Not much good for my baking though, I couldn't even bake biscuits as my basic recipe uses 1 egg. Instead I made some chocolate chunk flapjacks for tomorrow. 
Then I had planned to move some art materials from a cupboard in the kitchen to a desk drawer so that I could move the drinks bottles from a shelf into the cupboard and finally shift some of my jug collection from the mantlepiece on to the shelf. That sequence of events stopped when I found that the bottles were too tall to go in the cupboard.
I was a bit fed up by this time so I decided to go outside. First I thought I would tackle a rusty patch on the roof of my car. I had the right black sandpaper but when I looked for the metal primer paint which we always had with the model painting kit it was nowhere to be found. No point in rubbing down the rusty patch until I buy some more primer, I might even buy the correct bright green touch up paint though I'm not too worried about the overall look, just don't want a hole in the roof.
After all that I turned to general gardening, sweeping up leaves and weeding. The rushes growing in the wildflower patch were beginning to encroach upon some of the winter flowering heathers so I thought I'd clear them back a bit. The green stems were no more than 6" tall but the woody roots/runners were another matter. In no time at all I had filled a bucket with runners the thickness of a pencil. Then I made my way along the path that runs across the bank clearing leaves and weeding, plantain from the path and mainly grass from the beds above and below the path. Got the whole lot done which was good. I can see lots more weeding to do but hopefully I'll get it all done before it's time to start mowing once more.
The postman brought me a very cheap and cheerful necklace that I bought to go with my dress for the wedding so I put on it and the dress on and took some photos but guess what? They came out all blurry! 
I looked through the kitchen window to see a little wren hopping about. At 10cms long it is our smallest bird. During the winter they sneak in under the eaves and roost in our attic.
(A very tired Peter has just come home bearing a tray of 30 eggs for us.)

1 comment:

happyone said...

It is nice having a day at home all to yourself. I enjoy them too.
Too bad you couldn't get all you wanted done. It made me smile to hear Peter came home with 30 eggs. : )