Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 2 August 2015

Flies!

Back to summer once more, bright and breezy with only one brief shower in the evening. A good day for getting more washing done though I haven't done the ironing yet as it was to nice to be indoors.
The first job of the day, after our usual lie-in listening to The Archers, was to paint the porch wall and the bit over the door. Once that was done nearly all the rest of my day was spent outside. The alchemilla around the pond had flowered profusely but now it was time to cut it all back. My plan was to carefully weed the path at the same time but the flies got so bad I ended up only pulling up the bigger weeds in my rush to get the job done. I don't know how many times I had a fly crawl up my nose! I have actually ordered a bee keeper's veil that should keep the flies off my face once it arrives. After that I had a 10 mins break at my pc to give myself a chance to cool down and escape the flies. Then I had some time just sitting and reading in the sun. Because I wasn't getting all hot and sweaty the flies left me alone. But then I moved up to my neglected scree garden and worked my way along the path weeding and digging up some of the stones that had worked their way down into the subsoil. The flies were still a nuisance but not so bad as earlier. While I did that delicious smells were coming from the barbecue as Peter prepared sausages and belly pork to go with some salads. We had to eat inside because of the rain but it still tasted good.

No comments: