Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 13 August 2015

Wet.


After yesterday's cloudy evening sky I was surprised to see the stars a bit later on. I was very tired after my busy day and the previous night's meteor watch so I didn't drive up the hill. Instead I positioned myself up at the scree garden where I had a fairly good view of the sky especially to the north. I saw some meteors but not as many as the night before, maybe it was a bit too early in the night. There wouldn't have been any point staying out longer because when I turned to have one last look before going in I saw a cloud bank rolling up from the south.
Today I finally finished painting the porch ceiling. It felt so good to  be washing the brush and roller for the last time at least for now. I took the above photo when I had just started. I didn't mind having concrete walls and bare rafters but I do think it looks nice now and more inviting. When Peter came home we moved the wooden bench back against the wall so the space looks even better. Tomorrow I shall put the curtains back up, fix the brush draught excluder to the door and put hooks into the wood on the wall. 
I hung the new bird feeder up yesterday evening half filled with seeds. This morning it was almost empty, greedy birds I thought until I looked around. There were  lots of seeds on the ground below. That's a terrific waste of seeds and will either encourage rodents or put the birds in danger from the cats if they feed off the ground. I have an idea to reduce the size of the holes that the seeds come out of which might work.
Oh and it's been cold and raining for most of the day though we did escape the thunderstorms.

4 comments:

Harriet said...

Your work shines.

Mary Siler said...

Nice work. I haven't been to your place for years (since the Greenslads were there), so don't have the faintest remberance of a porch, but overall it does all look so smart now. I have a question...when you said you took a picture near South Indicott, where exactly was that? It looks like it could be Holwell entrance, but when I was home last there was no fencing down the field.
Still enjoying my visits home each evening. Mary

happyone said...

Good job.
Love that first picture.

Ruta M. said...

Hi Mary,
I took the photo from the new entrance, just before the bend in the lane to Bowden Corner, to the scaffolders' place which is behind Bill Banting's house. They put in a new fenced driveway leading round to their place.