Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 26 August 2015

Windy and Sunny.

Much sunnier today and quite breezy. We must have had a major downpour some time in the night because when I went outside I found the drive had nasty deep ruts and a lot of gravel had washed down into the yard. When I checked the dams I found that the run offs were full of fine road gravel and once they were blocked the water would have run straight down the drive washing out the gravel. I cleared out the run offs and tried to discretely extend them to make them more effective. Then it was time to repair the drive. I did so in a very cross mood because although the work is not that hard I know that shoveling gravel, pushing a wheelbarrow and raking the drive all damage my back and I suffer later. Thank goodness for strong painkillers. At least the small pond is now full of water.
Having repaired the drive and had a bit of a rest I went back to clearing the ground in the hens' run. Fortunately I was able to do that on my knees but I probably spent too long out there. I was mostly digging out stinging nettle roots, see below, and yes those great big thick roots that look like tree roots really are nettle roots. I had started by forking over the top layer of soil but once I found the bigger roots I had to dig down to get rid of them completely. 
I worked on until nearly 6.00 when I tottered back indoors, slapped some more paint on the water stains and called it a day. 

1 comment:

Harriet said...

Oh Ruta, There are days when reading your blog makes me tired and today is one of those days. Those roots are monsters. I've spent three days digging and tossing perennials. I have decided to reduce by circular perennial bed by 2 feet. This means I'll have a smaller garden next year. I've saved cone flowers, phlox, Shasta daisies and day lilies. I will first weed, work the area, divide and replant. All of this will take me a lot time. I hope to be done by the end of September. I am amazed at my lack of strength, drive....I am on my way to 70 in 6 months. That is my excuse to work slowly. I read you blog and marvel at your energy. I know I, too, had energy but....60+ is taking it's toll.