Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 19 August 2015

Wet.

And we're back to rain again as promised. I didn't mind because the shrubs I moved could do with watering and anyway I had a town day planned.
For once I paid for all day parking in one of the outer car parks as I didn't want to be worrying about getting back within 2 hours which is what you get at the Lidl's car park. With the wet weather it seemed that everyone in North Devon had also decided to spend the day in town and the roads were just about grid locked. On the way home it took me 10 mins just to get out of Tesco's car park and up to the new bridge. Fortunately there were still some people driving with Devon courtesy ie not sticking to the right of way but allowing 1 car out at each junction. That way the traffic keeps moving. Needless to say there were plenty of drivers who didn't bother to let anyone out.
The main reason for going in today was after over 3 months of waiting, to have my self-designed (okay inspired by elven armour) neck tattoo. For me it symbolises my nature loving rebellious spirit. Tom had just started work and we were talking about how some people find it very painful when yikes! it really hurt. I think he was doing the first small curl on the left hand side which does look red in the photo. I was thinking I was going to have to eat my words about it being no worse than a bramble scratch when he moved to a new section and from then on it wasn't too bad. In fact when he got to where there are a number of midge bites which I had valiantly  not been scratching it actually felt good. Peter has got home from work, told me how bad the traffic still is and then gone off to check his emails without even asking to see the tattoo. I despair at times.
One bonus was that as it was a relatively simple design it didn't take too long, about 45 mins I think, and the initial deposit covered the cost. We had a good chat while Tom was doing the tattoo. I imagine it to be a bit like chatting to your hairdresser not that I ever go to a hairdresser. 
Afterwards I had a very relaxed amble through town, splashing through the puddles in my wellies (the posh ones) going in to every charity shop and a lot of clothes shops too. I bought some tops on sale which will do for work after a few alterations. I could have done without going to Tesco's but we needed some food items and while I was there I found these melamine trays on sale at 75% off so I bought 2.
One nice story from my trip. - In 2 of the shops I called in to I noticed a very elderly gentleman having a conversation with members of staff. It sounded like this was quite a regular occurrence and at the end of each conversation he gave the member of staff a sweet from a paper bag he was holding. It was lovely in this modern time when shop people are often labelled as uninterested or rude, to see this gentleman greeted by name and treated courteously. Maybe this was his way of overcoming the loneliness that so many older people suffer from. 

1 comment:

Harriet said...

I volunteer at a used book store and remind myself each time....there are a lot of lonely people. It only takes a smile and "can I help you find something" to end up with a lengthy chat. I consider it my duty and actually enjoy the conversations.