Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 9 August 2015

Grey.

It was a big mistake not cutting the boards vertically. This we discovered when it took an enormous effort to lift the second board into place only to find that it was 0.5 cm too big. This wasn't because of my measuring, though it often is, but the lower board hadn't gone in quite flat due to the randomness of the stone walls and the poor quality construction of the porch. Having decided to cut the boards in half it then took a good 5 mins to get the board back down as it seemed to get jammed whichever way we moved it. Eventually the board was down and off my head where it had been resting. Then Peter went off rowing which I don't begrudge him as he doesn't get the chance that often what with the tides and his arthritis flare ups. It then took me the rest of the afternoon to cut the boards and fit them. The hardest thing was standing on a ladder trying to hold the board up with one hand, drilling guide holes into the beams then changing the drill bit so I could get the screw in and trying not to burr the screw head. I damaged a number of screws and a few rude words were said especially when the drill bit broke off in the wood. The whole job was made harder by the fact that the bench with Peter's barrel of real ale could not be moved or even knocked because that brings up the sediment. Every time I needed to go out of the porch I had to move the ladder and a chair that I was also standing on. I was just finishing off when Peter got home so I left him to put everything away while I went off for a very, very welcome shower. Tomorrow I'll see what I can do about some of the gaps around the edges of the ceiling, a far cry from the 2 unmarked surfaces I had envisioned.
It's been nothing but grey skies all day and a light drizzle had started when I went out to take some photos.  The wisteria finished flowering weeks ago, so I thought. Look carefully and a snail can be seen making its way to the flower for an unexpected treat.

No comments: