Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 22 August 2015

Warm.

Since the forecast was for a rainy day I didn't go with Peter to Appledore where he was rowing in a regatta as I had planned. As it turned out it has been a sunny day with just a sprinkling of rain. But staying at home gave me the chance to do more work on the corridor. I started with the dusty task of sanding down the woodwork, first by hand and then with my handy electric sander. Once that was done and I'd hoovered up the dust I was able to give all the woodwork a coat of gloss paint. 
Then I was able to get outside to carry on clearing the ground by the old chicken house. That included sawing down some overhanging branches and digging up one sapling. By that time Peter came home and I decided to call it a day. I put away my tools and had just sat down with a book when rain started to fall. It's sunny again now but we might still get thunderstorms so I'm blogging earlier than usual.

3 comments:

Harriet said...

Ruta, would you please name the butterflies? Thank you

Ruta M. said...

The red ones are peacock butterflies and the bedraggled brown one is a meadow brown. Both quite common species here. When the sun shines the garden is full of butterflies and the buzzing of bees and nectar loving flies.

Harriet said...

Thank you, Ruta, I was admiring the peacock butterfly so lovely. I haven't been working in my garden as the Bees are really busy and I fear a sting. However, due to our ages, we are in the process of digging and selecting those that will stay and those that will go as my garden is too big. A sad task for me as this garden was begun the year our lst grandson was born as a tribute to him. He is now almost a 22 yr. old college graduate and well over 6 feet tall. I was unable to interest either of my grandsons in gardening. Over the years, my garden has been the site for many neighbor's photos of their children so it has been a real pleasure for me and my husband.